As A Kitchen Hand!
Hi there! My name is Zak.
I'm just an honest, hard-working person trying to stand out amongst a crowd of enthusiastic, self-motivated individuals.
What I'm Looking For
- An opportunity to learn more, especially about international cuisine
- Professional training opportunities, especially as an apprentice chef
- Experience to take to future management or planning roles
- Ideally, millions of dollars
Skills & Experience
I'm a bit of an all-rounder, but I was born into a family of serious foodies and I'm most comfortable in a well-equipped commercial kitchen.
The sound of sizzling oil and clanging pots is music to my ears. I'd like to open my own restaurants some day, but there's plenty more for me to learn before I get to that point.
Summary of Prior Activities
- 1995-2005: Casual experience with various family businesses (primarily selling jewelry and "hippy" goods)
- 2007-2010: Worked as a retail/wholesale assistant at Narooma Fruit & Veg and a customer service team member at Fyshwick McDonalds (switched between the two a couple of times), also partially completed Certificate II in Business and participated in the AussieHost Customer Service Training Program
- 2010-2015: Worked various roles at Healthy Life Belconnen (retail assistant/acting manager), Freska Fruita Woden (retail/wholesale assistant) and Grill'd Belconnen (grill specialist, some customer service)
- 2015: Worked as retail assistant and section manager (Salad Bar) at Freska Fruita Woden
- 2016: Worked as a labourer on a house site, got my own ABN, did some contract work as a software developer (financial calculations, Excel, PHP) and wasted plenty of time working on my portfolio and studying various technology-related disciplines
Cooking & Cleaning
- I'm qualified with ACT Health for supervising food service operations (within the ACT)
- I've worked in a wide variety of food-related roles (cooking, operating drive-thru, retail, wholesale, etc.) and with a wide variety of food products (burgers, salads, sauces, natural medicines, etc.)
- I have a solid knowledge of the industry, including major vendors and current trends (I'm always on the lookout for new businesses and ideas)
- I have a broad understanding of Western culinary history and international influences on Australian cuisine
- I have an excellent knowledge of fresh and seasonal ingredients (I've worked for three different fruit & vegetable suppliers and I've picked up great tips from all of them)
- I have reasonable knowledge of popular dishes and techniques
- I have reasonable knowledge of dietary requirements and preferences (e.g. many chefs love capsicum and red onion, but many customers don't)
- I have reasonable knowledge about the use of chemical and physical hygiene products and local regulations (I will tell the safety inspector everything, and I also like to ask them a lot of questions)
- I really enjoy scrubbing stainless steel (I guess I just like shiny things)
Business & Customer Service
- I have my own ABN and run a small technology consulting business
- I've worked in customer service most of my life (since childhood), I don't like it but I'm great at it
- I was trained in customer service by the world's most profitable restaurant franchise as well as a national customer service training company
- I've sold a lot of different specialist products - gemstones, massages, stereos, ovens, erection pills, diet shakes, mangoes, caesar dressing, financial software, etc.
- I've worked in a couple of management positions
- I've served Sir Angus Houston in person and billed The Prime Minister's Office
Long story short, I can help you fix your Excel reports and communicate effectively with your web designers. Visit my Software Developer resume for more information about my technology-related skills.
- I'm keenly interested in mathematics, linguistics, biology, history, governance & civil engineering
- I've prepared some pages with more information about my hobbies (and myself)
Potential Deal Breakers
I'd really like to climb the employment ladder, but I wasn't born yesterday, so there are a few red flags I look for when starting a new job:
- Extremely long shifts and chaotic rosters - I'm flexible with hours, but if you can't organise a roster, hire me to. I'm not available for 12 hour shifts ending at 1:30AM. Been there, done that.
- Mixed customer service and kitchen positions - if you can't afford dedicated, specialised staff then you can't afford to run a restaurant. There's no money in running relays.
- Informal management practices - I like to do everything by the book and with military precision - if you prefer to manage in more of an informal, intuitive style then I'll happily
take your job and show you how it's done plod along until a better job comes my way.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to book an interview before your competitors get to me first!